Friday, February 10, 2006

My inner Donna Reed

I'm going to be 40 (someday), I have two children, a husband and the role of housewife to play, and I have yet to own my first strand of pearls. I can wait no longer! So, I've been nosing around a few shops and have found prices for about an 18 inch strand from $299 at the mall to $29 at Walmart. Huh? What's the difference?

I'm not sure, but I found a good site, which details the differences and history of pearls in a very clear way. This page on different styles is particularly illuminating. It had this to say about graduated strands, the type of necklace my mom has:
All the rage in the Fifties, the graduated necklace is now less popular with pearl jewelers. It is generally composed of a strand of graduated pearls, 43-48 cm long. It looks good with high or round necklines and is still linked to a very classical, slightly rétro image.
I have not seen graduated strands in any of my shopping, admittedly though, I haven't gone to any chic stores, as I assume they're out of my price range. I've lived a long time without a real strand, I think because I always thought pearls were supposed to be received as a gift, but hey - I can give myself the gift! I'll probably go with a collier:
One-strand, uniform pearl necklace, 35.5-40.5 cm long. It's the traditional coming-of-age gift to a daughter, in some countries and regions coming from the mother-in-law. It is anyway one of a woman's "must haves" and not only for those who prefer the classic look. It suits every age, every kind of outfit and every type of neckline. It can be worn just as easily by the girl in jeans as the manager in a power suit or the elderly lady in her everyday clothes. In all cases it adds a touch of style.
And I hope, though I won't become attached to the idea, that my daughter will want a strand when she "comes of age" and that she will receive it in the spirit it is given.

PS I'll probably also pick up a pair of Akoya studs. Why not? I'm feeling generous!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home