Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Right or wrong, our country

Interesting tidbit via The Corner:
Today is the 186th anniversary of the duel between Commodores Stephen Decatur and James Barron.

Decatur, who was killed, was the author of the now-famous aphorism, “Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations may she always be in the right; but our country right or wrong.”

So, a guy I used to know in NY interviewed Shepard Smith, and complained to me (it was during the run up to the Iraq War) that Shep had quoted this to him, and believed in it. And at the time I lazily agreed it was a dumb thing to say.

But I don't think so anymore. Our country is made up of a set of ideas, moreso than people, and I believe in those ideas and agree with them. So even when I don't agree with the policy of my country, if the policy was implemented properly based on our laws and electoral process, then, my country right or wrong. Absolutely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home