Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Back from holiday

While my tongue plays with the little mouth-skin hanging between my two front teeth because I was too impatient to let the re-heated pizza cool, here are a few things that caught my eye today.

50 Greatest Conservative Rock Songs ...hmmm. I dunno -- lyrics are open to interpretation, but I'm surprised not to see Bush Was Right on that list. Maybe it's not a very good song, or not popular enough.

The straight skinny on what long-waisted actually means. I wanted to know because, trying on clothes this weekend, I pulled on a pair that were allegedly high-waisted, and they didn't reach my belly button. I haven't measured yet, but I think I'm short-waisted, which doesn't answer the question why those high-waisted jeans didn't fit me correctly. Height, perhaps?

The president is hosting a viewing of United 93, a film I'm queasy about seeing. I suspect I'll see it sometime -- when is another matter, as I see a movie about three times a year.

But Friday, after my plane to Cleveland turned around to head back to Dallas/Ft. Worth airport because of the inability to de-ice one of the wings, I stood in line for about an hour and a half waiting to be told I could go to Cleveland the next day. While standing there, I got to know a 42-year-old divorced teacher and mother of two teenagers whose ex-husband I now hate too. She asked me, while we were still in row 14, if we can't make a call in air -- because most cell phones can't find a signal in air -- how did the passengers of Flight 93 do it?

I figured they used airplane phones to make their calls. I guess I'll have to see the movie. In any case, I wonder if American Airlines shouldn't retire that flight number, out of respect for the deceased and as a way to help Americans remember to honor the victims and the passengers who fought back.

My husband has returned and reported that our oldest child has just finished her first thorough reading of Hop on Pop. It is time for me to join him on the couch. Good night, all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home