Thursday, May 04, 2006

I'm back! (if briefly)

I have no idea what's free and what's not with Opinion Journal, but look at this stat from a column by Newt Gingrich and John T. Gill,
Other industry players suffered as well. Hospital premiums to protect against the onslaught of lawsuits more than doubled between 2000 and 2003. From 1999 to 2002, the annual per-bed cost of litigation-protection insurance in nursing homes increased from $250 to $5,000--a factor of 20! Texas seniors were being displaced and deprived of care, as nursing homes closed, unable to afford the cost of escalating insurance premiums.
My jaw certainly dropped when my step-mother-in-law mentioned how much the care for her mother, ailing with Alzheimer's cost. I was so astonished, I don't even remember the figure.

What do the experts say? Buy your long-term health insurance at middle age or at least by 55, I think. I'll start saving now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home