Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Fraud update

The Social Security Administration reeeeeeally doesn't want to give me a new number, as far as I can tell from their website and the automated responses I got by dialing 1-800-269-0271:

We do not routinely assign a new number to someone whose identity has been stolen. First, you should do several other things, such as:

  • File a report with the local police or the police department where the identity theft took place, and keep a copy of the police report as proof of the crime;
  • Notify the Federal Trade Commission (1-877-ID-THEFT or 1-877-438-4338);
  • Contact the fraud units of the three major credit reporting bureaus:
  • Call each of your creditors to report fraud for any account that has been tampered with or opened fraudulently.

Only as a last resort should you consider changing your Social Security number. Changing your number may adversely impact your ability to interact with federal and state agencies, employers and others. This is because your financial, medical, employment and other records will be under your former Social Security number. If you have done all you can and someone still is using your number, we may assign you a new number. We cannot guarantee that a new number will solve your problem.

I suspect I need to see my credit reports before I talk to SSA. If more money has been spent using my number then what I know of, then I may have a case for getting a new number. If it's a one-time only thing, it may be less hassle to keep my card current.

Detective Sullivan called today and said I should wait to see my credit reports before calling the FTC, too. He said the FTC would be interested if bigger sums of money were stolen in my name.

The future rests on the coming reports.


Post a Comment

<< Home