Wednesday, July 12, 2006

“All I’ll say is, people should make up their minds if I’m anyone’s lackey, or whether the piece should have run or not, based on what I’ve written during my last 11 years at The Wall Street Journal,”

Did you assume WSJ reporter Glenn Simpson was a lackey of the Bush administration based on the WSJ editorial regarding the publication of the SWIFT terrorism finance scandal?

I didn't.
Mr. Simpson, who is based in Brussels, had been working for months on a story about government monitoring of the international banking system operated by the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, or SWIFT. On June 22, Mr. Simpson was in Washington when a Treasury source tipped him that The Times would be publishing a piece on the subject, according to Journal sources. Mr. Simpson delayed a flight back to Belgium and raced to put out a piece on deadline, posting one online minutes after the Times story went out. The Journal, The Times, the Los Angeles Times and The Washington Post all had SWIFT stories in the next day’s papers.
That's pretty much how I assumed it went, but WSJ political reporter Jackie Calmes sounds like she's falling apart:

“What I said is, ‘How could any reader take away anything but the fact that [the editorial page] had talked to people on the news side?’” Ms. Calmes said. “I’m unhappy. I know a lot of other people are unhappy. The question is: What do we do about it?”
Do nothing, my dear. Bystander already noted that the editorial page didn't talk to the news page. And wondered aloud why. This reminds me of a classic Futurama in which the Harlem Globetrotters come from another planet to challenge earthlings to a game of basketball and the earthlings get stomped. Lela remarks, "Now all the planets will be cracking wise about our mamas!"

Well, now, all the reporters at WaPo and the NYT's will cracking wise about the WSJ's political lackey reporters!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home