Thursday, August 24, 2006

I've picked out your Christmas present

We are almost at the end of our second week of school, and I already need to start a new file folder to hold the avalanche of paperwork my daughter's elementary school has sent home. I'd like to thank the small forest that gave its life for, among other things, alerting me to the North Texas Volleyball Association, which I think -- I can't quite make out -- she's too young to participate in.

This morning, as I walked with one of her classmate's mothers back into the neighborhood, she reached in her purse and pulled out a note from the teacher that had her reporting for Classroom Mother duty tomorrow. She was mystified. Remember all those forms the teacher made us fill out the other night while we were listening to a thirty-minute monologue over the public announcement system by the principal, I asked her? That's how they get you!

Yesterday (I think it was -- it's all a fog to me now) we received one Illuminescents 8 1/2 x 11-inch tri-fold brochure; one Gifts of Nature brochure filled with pictures of gorgeous perennials and annuals; one Celebrate the Season Christmas 38-page holiday gifts catalogue; and one brightly colored two-page slick of fantastically-fanciful fun stuff that my daughter can win if she (ahem) sells enough of the preceding stuff.

And two order forms, due date: a week and a half.

Tonight my husband and I tried to break it to her gently. With our social skills there's no way she's winning that scooter, much less the plastic doohickey that comes with selling fewer than five items.

On the other hand, the private pre-school my son attends isn't even trying a fundraiser this season; they sent home envelopes requesting $40 cash.

In any case, each of my loyal readers, at least those I see during the holiday season, will be receiving a lovely scented candle come December. Happy Kwanzaa.

1 Comments:

Anonymous kathy said...

make mine sandalwood

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home