Friday, September 29, 2006

More on Musharraf

I'm not alone in my discomfort about the Pakistani dictator. According to this column (WSJ $) on his recent American tour, Musharraf was lauded by each side of the political spectrum, including the Council of Foreign Relations. WSJ editorial board member Robert Pollack cautions,
let's have no illusions about Pervez Musharraf. He took power illegitimately in a country with some history of democracy, however imperfect. And now he seems to be in no hurry to give it up. The Bush Doctrine can survive the Musharraf Exception over the short run. But over the longer term, the credibility of our efforts to address the root causes of terror will require nudging Pakistan, too, back toward the democratic path.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Luther said...

So are you more concerned about Musharraf? Or Jon Stewart? All I got from the previous thread was that you didn't like that Musharraf was on The Daily Show. Are you equally concerned with other talk shows he appeared on?

11:50 PM  
Blogger Mike in S.A. said...

If Musharraf were really a serious leader, he would have appeared on The O'Reilly Factor. Of course there's that troublesome "No Spin Zone" thing...

2:06 AM  
Anonymous pervez musharraf said...

I was too afraid that Mr. O'Reilly might become agitated and issue an "O'Reilly Factor Travel Boycott" to my country. As you must know Pakistan economy relies heavily on tourism of citizens from United States and so that would have been devastating to my country.

I am sarcastic of course!

Actually Mr. O'Reilly begged me to be on his show, but I feel The Factor "jumped the shark" - or as we say in my country "blew up the turban" - when he and Geraldo tried to talk bad about my man Jon Stewart.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

So are you more concerned about Musharraf? Or Jon Stewart?

C. all of the above.

I was too afraid that Mr. O'Reilly might become agitated and issue an "O'Reilly Factor Travel Boycott" to my country.

The Republic of Bill O'Reilly is apt to apply sanctions at the drop of a hat, Mr. President. Don't take it personally.

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home