Sunday, October 29, 2006

My safe place

I've written before that I don't like the political horse race season. It seems to serve no other purpose than to make people tense. Here's a NYT's article (via Althouse) on how discussing politics can sever relationships. The even have an expert:
“An election season can turn into an equivalent of the office party: you will say and do things that you regret the day after,” Dr. Forni said. “And there are those who, being aware of that, simply have decided not to speak about these issues, or to do that with a very, very small circle of trusted friends, very often of the same political persuasion, in order to enforce their values, to validate their choices, because they have given up the hope that anything good will come through political confrontation.”
My politics have changed over time and I admit I have a hard time discussing them with old friends, for fear I'm going to fail their litmus test. One old friend, a liberal, is fascinated by my change and occasionally asks for my point of view on a particular issue, but when her gaze at me turns to a wince, I sense I'm failing and try to pad my answers with politically correctness so as not to earn her ire. It is the saddest thing that has happened to our friendship. She used to be my safe place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home