Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Christians

If it weren't for those Christian conservatives, Michael J. Fox would live forever!

Lots of folks are upset about the relationship between Republicans and their voter base Christian conservatives conservative Christians. Some of those folks demanded an accounting from me over an annual post-turkey holiday dinner, complete with nachos and margaritas. Mostly they got, "I don't know ...I don't know ...I don't know ...I'm not advocating that ...I didn't say that ...OK!"

Here's what I really think: these are questions of great moral and legal weight that shouldn't be easily dismissed on either side of the debate, nor decided upon over drinks. Don't force me to do it--don't force me to--all right! You forced me to paraphrase Tom Wolfe once again, who said something to the effect that people like to be in fashion and don't ever want to say the wrong thing at a cocktail party and thus politics take a sort of agreeable turn without a lot of thought.

Oh, he said it so much better than I, but you get the gist.

Anyway, I've always been the odd woman out. I was wearing cut-off sweatshirts when you were still in button-front long-sleeve polos with a ribbon tied around the collar. A ribbon, for crying out loud!

So now, Andrew Sullivan has introduced the word Christianist into the political conversation. A Christianist is someone who is a Christian but whose politics differ from Sullivan's. Ann Althouse is probing the history of the term. Here's what Glenn Reynold's has to say and I agree: "I continue to think that the term draws an unfair equivalence between Islamist terror, and mere Christian social conservatism, which are hardly comparable. I disagree with the latter, but those people aren't the enemy, just people with whom I disagree."

Which prompts the question, can't we all just not get along? Do we have to be at war with each other?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Darth Luther said...

Dearest neocon-christianist friend,

You seem frustrated about your “Thanksgiving nacho and margarita” extravaganza!!! The dark-side is a painful and lonely place. So what was the grilling all about? Was it all about stem cell research – or was there perhaps more? Inquiring evil minds want details about what you’re not advocating and didn’t say!

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said...

Dear Christianists everywhere,

I was wondering if it would trouble anyone if I read my letter aloud on "The Daily Show" instead of releasing it at U.N. headquarters?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15947213/

Best regards,
Mahmoud

PS. Oh and Nancy, glad you are back from your unholy Thanksgiving holidays with the other infidels. All is well with your family I hope?

11:46 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

You know, I don't know that The Daily Show would be bothered by having you as a guest. Tough call though, seeing as you're calling for the elimination of Jews and so many live in New York. Gonna try to slay them with your wit, I suppose?

T-day good, thanks! Tons of driving, but tons of good company. A wee bit too short, alas.

PS The dark side is a painful and lonely place. Are there any meetings or clubs around here?

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home