Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Dumb-off!

Majority Leader and Abscam-veteran John Murtha? Minority Leader Whip and Strom-Thurman-as-president nostalgiast Trent Lott? All or some of this prompts Dean Barnett to write: "Is it just me, or is it becoming increasingly apparent that the Republicans and Democrats are determined to engage in a two year dumb-off?" (Via the Professor.)

Update: The Republicans win! Although, I should note, some pundits are talking about Lott's ability to reach across the aisle:

EASTON: And keep in mind too, Trent Lott has this back channel. He has these bipartisan roots. He had this back channel to Bill Clinton in the 90's and he even talks in his book about Bill Clinton calling him up late at night with his sort of Zen recipient of these late night phone calls and worked with him on budget and tax issues and could do so again.

HUME: Do you think that will happen, Lott will be a bridge to the Democrats?

KRISTOL: Well he worked very closely with Mary Landrieu for example, of Louisiana on hurricane relief after Katrina. If you were, had the Supreme Court nominee, if I could return to my obsession here, who needs three or four Democratic votes, you could do worse than having Trent Lott work privately with Mary Landrieu or with the two Democratic senators from Arkansas. No, I think he could be quite effective as the number two. I wouldn't want him as number one, but I think as number two.

We could certainly file my previous remarks in the department of well, what do I know? Or save them here to look at later for the department of I told you so!

It's funny that I found this via Real Clear Politics, which is oft-quoted for their averaging of polls on Special Report, which the above quotes are linked from, making, I think, the perfect loop!

3 Comments:

Anonymous darth luther said...

So who is "dumb", and who is "dumber"?

10:08 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

It's a tie!

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...the circle of life! whoda thunk in politics!

heh.

D.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home