Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Media observations

From INDC Bill,* who's soon going as an embed to Iraq:
Nearly every piece of decent financial news over the last 6 years has displayed a dampened good or great news headline further undermined by a bad news subhead, a good news headline relegated to the subhead position or a good news headline buried in the second paragraph. I can't think of an area of the newspaper that's baffled or annoyed me more than the financial section.
And here's the funny article that backs it up. In a way, I think it's sweet that reporters and headline writers are in a better mood now that Democrats control Congress, and thus they write about the world, including the economy, in much rosier terms. For them, the world changed this month. That's sweet.

*Please keep this from my husband, but I've had a blogger crush on INDC Bill since I started reading him. Smart guy, sound writer--even entertaining.

Media observation, the second: AP using one stringer for all it's Iraq stories? In a mega-post Patterico examines an LA Times story claiming thirty people dead (women and children!) by U.S. air strikes. A soldier emailed it didn't happen and that the LA Times is relying on enemy propaganda. Questions are raised, I tell you--raised!

Update: Whoops! Here it is (bold in original): "The Associated Press has been using a bogus source describing horrible Iraqi atrocities for months!"

Whoa--this post comes complete with a letter from Centcom: "
We can tell you definitively that the primary source of this story, police Capt. Jamil Hussein, is not a Baghdad police officer or an MOI employee."

Ah, well. What does it matter? It's a drop in the bucket. I don't feel like I have any idea of what is really going on over in Iraq.

I'm very cynical today, aren't I?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home