Saturday, December 23, 2006

It's a Wonderful Life!

I'm feeling very George Baileyish today, which is never a good time to post because it reveals the sappy person that I am.

Husband has given me the greatest gift of all this morning by taking the kids shopping so I can have a few minutes of peace and get the house in order before we head north to Oklahoma.

The drive to Oklahoma is not distinct in natural beauty, but it does have a few things that make me laugh along the way. First there are the Arbuckle Mountains, or should I say "mountains." Some how they qualify, though even to my flatlander eyes, I barely notice an ascendancy in elevation.

The other thing that gets my fancy are the signs promoting small towns. See Purcell! is one of them. And each sign generally lists the following: Historic Downtown, Shopping District, and....I can't remember what else--that's how memorable they are.

It would be fun to do a coffee table book of small town signs that advertise small towns, which are trying not to die out. Trying to stay alive is worth a sign or two for sure.

My other coffee table book idea is a book of churches taken on our drive from North Texas to South Texas. The churches we pass vary from megachurches, such as the one near a local mall--as big as the mall, really--with huge lettering FELLOWSHIPCHURCH.COM. Then the further south we get and the further away from big cities where churches are always gorgeous, we find churches with aluminum siding, churches of thin wood, churches made of turn-of-the-century stone, churches that look that they were built when the Spaniards first came to Texas.

But all that's for another day. Today, we're packing up the car. I'll distract the children while Gene puts Santa's unwrapped gifts in the back-back, then we'll stuff all the wrapped presents behind it and if there's still room, we'll bring our luggage.

Merry Christmas, Bystander readers!

4 Comments:

Anonymous kathy said...

What a lovely post. You should make that small town coffee table book--Flickr makes it easy I think. and I would buy one!

Merry Christmas, you.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Mike in S.A. said...

Merry Christmas, Nancy! Right now I'm vsisiting my folks in Laredo, where it's in the upper 40's and raining heavily. I hope the weather's more pleasant where you are.

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy, have a terrific Christmas with your family. I hope the long ride is filled with fun, chatter, and no small fry asking for the 500th time, "Are we there yet???"!!

Merry Christmas and thanks for the lovely email this morning. Kind words make the day that much sweeter!

Dana

5:35 PM  
Anonymous luther said...

Merry Christmas everyone!!!

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home