Saturday, February 17, 2007


Monster post!

This picture comes from Ft. Thomas, Kentucky (a short drive to Cincinnati) taken earlier this week by my friend Becky's husband, Greg. Click on it to see how thick the ice got.

Sorry to be away so long. I added one thing to my to-do list this past week and it threw everything off. When it gets published, I'll link it.

By the way, this brief moment of sanity (or inanity, if you like) is brought to you by my husband who has taken charge of the children this morning and afternoon, dropped one off at a birthday party and taken the other with him to Lowes to buy fertilizer. Ah, yes. If we want a green lawn this spring, we'll have to do it ourselves. No more service for us! And when I say ourselves, I don't mean me.

Two weeks ago I went to a new optometrist to update my prescription and get contact lenses. The new lenses, Bausch and Lomb Clear Vision, are thinner and lighter than my old brand. I was delighted. Unfortunately, they scratched my eyeballs, so last week, I returned to my optometrist and asked for a different brand. He checked my eyes to make sure the B&L were fitting properly and then showed me a spreadsheet showing that 76% of contact wearers who use generic Target brand no-rub solution have discomfort with these lenses. He said that if I bought the brand-name Opti-Free Replenish, it should clear up any problems, and a week later, it seems he was right. Assignment: Bradley J. Fikes--is Opti-Free colluding with Bausch & Lomb to keep budget-minded moms away from generic solutions?

If you haven't checked in on Instapundit today, I recommend this article by a Democratic political consultant. It gave me lots of hope, as did his blog, for the more liberal party.

His article comments on the John Edwards/ campaign blogger scandal, in which John Edwards hired two liberal bloggers for his campaign. They had a lot of anti-Christian rants on old posts which they then deleted, but of course, it was already out. Eventually, they quit.
It also goes to show just how deeply most liberal bloggers believe that Republicans and conservative are morally illegitimate, and as such, any criticism or argument made by the other side is on its face corrupt and dismissible.

(Snnnn-ip!)

In the long run, the only way to prevent embarrassments like this from escalating and causing greater damage – and more importantly, to fulfill the rich potential of the blogosphere as a persuasion and organizing tool – is for the voices of reason within the Netroots to stand up to the smack down artists and prod their peers to trade their juvenile accusations for mature arguments.

This is not to say that liberal bloggers or Democrats in general don’t have good reason to be angry about the war or the Bush Administration, or that we should drain our politics of passion. We can and should be aggressive in our convictions and tough in our defenses. It’s just that all available evidence indicates that labeling people who don’t agree with us “liars” and “morons” and “fascists” is not the best way to get them to vote for us.

An anti-war guy I know recently went to a well-known liberal site and got chased out of it because even though he agreed with them, he wasn't mad enough. He's a pretty reasonable guy, so I hope he's not too bruised by the experience.

In other news, last weekend my neighborhood Girl Scout came by to drop off two boxes of cookies. I took the opportunity to congratulate myself for not keeping cookies and other junk food around the house on a regular basis. I mean--considering all the seasons that are occasion for baked goodies and packaged treats, there's barely a reason to do so. Let's see--Halloween candy gets thrown out Dec. 1; Thanksgiving pies in November; baked streudel and whatnot on Christmas (not to mention eggnog, etc.); January's long, but Girl Scout cookie season starts in early February; Valentine's Day, which my daughter would like to treat on a Christmas-sized scale; chocolate Easter bunnies could come as early as late March in some years; we have April birthdays, which bring chocolate cake; May and June are slow, but I'm sure there are end of the year class parties, which again come with treats; July's got us wrapped up on the Fourth with all kinds of outdoor cooking and sodas to go with; August and September might be a bit slow, but other kids have birthdays in those months, so I'm sure mine won't be deprived of something sweet.

After the Girl Scout left, I then devoured nearly eight Roundabouts, and wasn't particularly hungry for my husband's fried chicken. And now you know why I don't stock cookies in the house on a regular basis.

This morning I got up at my usual Monday-Friday time to register my son for preschool next year. He looooves it! Alas, I can only do three mornings a week, plus one afternoon of stay-and-play. In line next to me was a woman with four kids, the older ones she home-schools. So I chatted her up about that because it's such a fast-growing phenomenon in my area and she listed Christian values and lessons as part of her reasons for liking it so much. She actually home-schools three times a week; and her kids attend classes twice a week at an academy.

What I wanted to know was didn't she ever feel like she needed a break from the kids? Wasn't that a challenge for her personally? I think know it would be for me. Oh, sure, she said, but she goes to Women's Bible Study Tuesdays and Thursdays mornings to get some adult time.

I would not have thought of Bible Study as a place to blow off steam. I blew off steam today at Tony Cao, and actually had the proprietor cut my hair, but that's another post.

I looked familiar to her and she asked what church I go to; I think I'm the only woman in town who doesn't belong to one. Well, perhaps she's met me at a Bible Study? No, I said. Well, I was registering my son at a Lutheran preschool, so that might add to the confusion. It's strange having so much in common with church-goers, except the all-important part of actually going to church.

Our talk later turned to houses and the cost of heating and cooling them. Hers is newer than mine, but I quipped, someday our 1986 house will be retro-chic. Well, maybe in about 20 years, which makes me go back and forth on my dream of a new kitchen. If I got one today, twenty years from now, I'd be bored with it and complain that it's so early 21st century. Sigh.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to have you back, Nancy.

The ensuing vitriol of the Edwards' ex-bloggers certainly speaks for itself.

Of course the homeschooling converstaion caught my eye....I also didn't get my break at Bible Studies because who really wants to have to think when trying to chill? I also don't go to church and haven't for quite some time because I like sleeping in that much, would rather be home, and frankly, until they start serving breakfast with the sermon, I'm a no-go.

Nice that Jesus meets me elsewhere.

btw, After reading your stewardess posting above, I've certainly crossed that off my list of possible things to do when I grow up. Stranded on the tarmac with a group of people I don't know for that long is simply not going to bring out the best in me.

Dana

10:12 PM  
Blogger Mike in S.A. said...

I also don't go to church and haven't for quite some time because I like sleeping in that much, would rather be home, and frankly, until they start serving breakfast with the sermon, I'm a no-go.

I feel the same way. That causes some tensions with extended family, because most of my older relatives (who are Catholic like me) believe that by not going to church on Sunday, I'm committing some type of mortal sin.

1:22 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

until they start serving breakfast with the sermon,

Heh! Some churches (not Catholic, of course!) are showing the football games after service and even having tailgate parties.

But I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes staying home.

I was raised Catholic too, Mike, but don't attend, except with my inlaws. My mom, who is/was devout, suffers from Alzheimer's and I don't think Dad takes her anymore.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Mike in S.A. said...

I only attend when my folks are visiting. My mom doesn't like it when I stay home (she's devout like your mom), but my dad doesn't really care.

I still consider myself a Catholic, but a "Bad Catholic" in Walker Percy's sense of the term. If you want to know what I mean, read Percy's Love in the Ruins, an excellent social/political satire.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy,

I'm sorry to hear about your mom.
In thought & prayer.

D.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Mike in S.A. said...

Yes, sorry to hear about your mom, Nancy. I remember you mentioning this before - whether it was here or at Cathy's World I can't remember. My thoughts and prayers are with her.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Bradley J. Fikes said...

Assignment: Bradley J. Fikes--is Opti-Free colluding with Bausch & Lomb to keep budget-minded moms away from generic solutions?

Hi Nancy, just noticed your comment. There actually is collusion against generics, but it's much more sinister. Pharma companies with drugs about to go off patent file lawsuits to stop generics. The companies settle, with a payoff from the patent drug maker to the generic makers, under conditions that delay or stop their generic launch. Both companies make lots of money. The only loser is the public.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hey, Bradley! Thanks for checking in on me.

I'm disappointed to read my suspicions confirmed, esp. where medicine is concerned.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Bradley J. Fikes said...

Nancy,

You've got a lot of good stuff here. Reminds me to update my semi-blog. And as for Mike in S.A.'s nascent effort . . . let's see more of it!

Going to a party tonight. I am going to drink a toast with Patron tonight in honor of Mike K. and the rest of the CW gang.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks, Bradley. That's high praise, considering I know what other online neighborhoods you hang out in.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home