Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Vitamin takers beware!

I've never been a pill popper, be it prescriptive, over-the-counter, or otherwise, but especially vitamins. I have a very hard time remembering and even enjoying the daily ritual. Now JAMA's got news that they may be bad for you anyway:

the evidence is that taking vitamins, either singly or as part of a multivitamin pill, actually increases mortality by 5 per cent.
The same article cites a different study that eating low-fat dairy products may make it difficult to conceive:
The researchers found that women eating normal amounts of low-fat dairy products stood a higher risk of failing to conceive. Their diet appears to be implicated in a failure to ovulate, which is responsible for 12 to 15 per cent of cases of infertility. Women who ate whole-fat dairy products suffered fewer cases of this form of infertility.
I have known women who have told me their ob/gyn's have told them to put on weight when they are trying to conceive. Perhaps this is related.

Via Althouse.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mike in S.A. said...

That's not good news for me. For the past two years I've taken Vitamin C, D, and E pills daily on doctor's orders.

Fortunately, the low-dairy/conception data is irrelevant where I'm concerned! :)

5:35 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Vitamins: Oh no! (I'll still be taking them, though. When I remember to do so, I feel better.)

Low-fat milk: Good! I drink almost nothing but skim, and I guess it's been doing me more good than I knew all this time! :p

Oh, on the weight gain helping conception: Maybe it does help to stop with the low-fat dairy, but I learned in biology (so it MUST be true!!!) that reducing your physical activity can help more than increasing your calorie intake. The point is to let your body have a little extra energy to dedicate toward ovulation, and it also helps if an active woman reduces the physical strain on her system. What makes this interesting to me is that it makes sense if you think of us in a more primative time: The female body is more likely to concieve during down-time when we're not in migration and when food is more plentiful. Nature is clever.

9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home