Sunday, March 25, 2007

Cathy's World comments section and me

I'm quite thrown by Gary M's comment, "Nancy, you were always one of the brainy ones that Cathy's readers most looked forward to seeing in digital 'print'" because I consider myself the opposite of brainy. Discussions not only of important Americans like Thomas Jefferson, but of which biographer of Jefferson is to be trusted are several realms out of my element, and those types of discussions are frequent.

But I love to listen read the discussions, even though I can add little to nothing. Occasionally, I put myself out there to try to get a handle on the subject matter, and that is the great thing about the community--nobody has shot me down (yet), even when I deserved it. (That reminds me to apologize about my cranky remarks about redheaded men and baby boomers (but not redheaded baby boomer men!)

And that too, was a great thing about Cathy. She often relied fearlessly on common sense wisdom and refused to apologize for it. I told her once wistfully that her fearlessness was a quality I much admired, and I'm inspired by it.

People paying attention will also note that I started to emulate Cathy in my writing style. I can't help it! You know how people pick up on each other's accents? Well, I do that in writing. I don't mean to--it just happens. (When I'm reading Jane Austen, I become insufferable.)

Local West Coast commenters talk of meeting at Olivera's and I imagine myself among them. Unfortunately, even in my imagination, I'm serving drinks and clearing ashtrays. That's pretty much the way I see myself.

Anyway, let me click publish before I change my mind, but before I do I want to thank you all for your kind words.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Mike in S.A. said...

Cathy's fearlessness was quite admirable, as was the fact that she did not suffer fools gladly - myself excepted, I'd like to think. :)

8:10 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

A really nice post, Nancy.

In light of the past week its good to hold onto the fact that there simply isn't time to be fearful - there's just way too much life to be lived, and what a shame if fear keeps one from missing the golden opportunities when they unfold.

I for one am very glad you clicked 'Publish'.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Mike in S.A. said...

Dana,

Congrats on getting your Blogger account to work!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Isn't it something! I must have again attempted it a 100 times and lo and behold, it just.......happened!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Bradley J. Fikes said...

One of the interesting things about Cathy was her extreme tolerance when it came to us blog commenters. She only intervened in the most egregious cases. Given Cathy's reputation as a hypercritical person, one might expect the opposite, a domineering, controlling presence making sure everyone was on topic and obeying her rules. Instead, Cathy grasped the power lightly and even seemed to revel in the glorious chaos.

Dana, as to what you said on CW, it certainly is your place to comment. Maia asked for ideas, and you're one of the most benevolent presences ever to grace the blog.

As for me, I'm personally now leaning toward the idea of a separate, but related blog, linked to Cathy's World. Call it Cathy's Fans.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous The goracle said...

So some say you're brainy, some even say erudite, but move aside little missy because no one compares with "The Goracle"!!!

Fear Mother Nature. Repent of your sins against her. And ye shall be saved.

12:06 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Way to go on the blogspot, Dana!

Bradley, you're right and that was something I meant to include in this post--her non-censorious governance, if you will, of her blog. And then when she did ban a commenter, she found an extremely cool way of doing it. I'm thinking of Soupy here.

The market place of ideas, left on its own, did pretty well on her site, and that's due in large part to you, Bradley, as an excellent example of one who engages in factual debate.

I like the name Cathy's Backyard, as a spin-off of her blog. We are all just kids, after all, looking for a place to play.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Gary McVey said...

I don't have much to add to the comments by the good people above. The fact that Nancy and Dana have sites is, in a way, a tribute to the personal journal movement that Cathy contributed so much to. I've been coming around to Bradley J. Fikes's conclusion that the existing CW comments section is, alas, only an interim vessel carrying Cathy's World passengers to a terminal where we will soon have to disembark. This is one of the places we're ending up, and so is South Texian, Mike in S.A.'s blog.

I've been more concerned with losing track of people than I was when I graduated from college--who's got Mike K? Is Cassandra in the loop? Where's Kenneth from Alabama? Thank goodness Nancy was up and running months before.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I've been more concerned with losing track of people than I was when I graduated from college

I know the feeling. I'm starting to get some withdrawal symptoms!

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home