Friday, March 16, 2007

It's the little things...

...that tell you a lot about a person:
Schumer was a senior at Harvard in 1971 when he wrote the paper about building a more effective Congress -- and furious when he received a B. His instructor? Conservative commentator Bill Bennett, a Harvard law student who was teaching the undergraduate social studies course. "He went nuts," said Bennett, who was unmoved when Schumer lobbied for a higher grade.

Bennett said the senator still reminds him of the beef every time they meet. "He says, 'I don't know if you remember this . . .' and I say, 'Stop with the grade-grubbing.' "

We wanted to hear why Schumer thought he deserved an A, but he didn't get back to us yesterday. Bennett has finally relented -- a little: "At this point, I'd be happy to review the paper."

I find Senator Schumer to be kind of an annoying guy--I think that's because he's so all-the-time-everywhere. In fact, I remember Mort Kondracke saying that the joke around the press corps was that the most dangerous place to be in Washington is between Chuck Schumer and a television camera. But the Bennett story is really kind of funny.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mike in S.A. said...

I've never liked Schumer. He's little more than an loudmouthed, gun-grabbing busybody.

That Bennett story is funny. I'd never heard it before.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is still bugging Schumer after how many years? What's up with that!

btw, Mort Kondracke wrote an eloquent and slim book re his wife's illnes, entitled Saving Millie. What love story...

Dana

9:49 PM  
Anonymous charles e. schumer said...

Damn it I deserved an A! I did I did I DID!!! Where's the TV crew!?

8:51 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, and my 2.8931, which I round up to a 3.0, is really a 3.5 (with further rounding).

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...the only thing we do not round up is our weight. everything else, round away!

D.

1:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home