Tuesday, April 17, 2007

It's your turn to take out the garbage!

If it's true that men and women work the same number of hours at jobs and at home combined, then I will stop feeling so lucky about the man I scored as a husband, who shares the work pretty evenly with me--as I write this he is putting the children to bed--but this bit at the bottom of the article, is irritating:
Many women with demanding careers tell me that it is women working full-time in the market, not women overall, who work more than comparable men. This study cannot settle that question because it does not report work time separately for people with and without market jobs.
Is that true? And how do those working women know? Perhaps they stayed home a while, and now that they're back at work, they're shouldering more of the at-home work than their husbands. Hmmm...Maybe I'll find out myself one day!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

While fully enjoying my couch entitlement time, I read the study in Slate. It was insightful and perhaps annoying (like, if I lived in a poor country I would really be annoyed about the work breakdown...along with being poor, too) but I don't feel it took into consideration the different sort of exhaustive work staying home with children is vs. working outside of the home and then doing chores around home. Its seems there should be differential - they are very different sorts of demands....and tiredness... don'tcha you think?

10:11 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

...and btw, I helped hang drywall in our kitchen re-do because the boys were at work - do I get extra points for this as its obviously going above and beyond????

8:25 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

You get ten extra points for hanging the drywall, but because it was probably you who pushed for the kitchen re-do, we subtract 40. :)

They do seem like different kinds of work, but some of what I worry about when I think about working in the market, is the way I don't like to talk to anyone after a day's work.

When my husband and I were first married, I noticed this tendency--I'd want to unwind alone; he needed to unwind with company. The children will need and want my full attention and I won't be in the mood to give it. I will need Superman strength to do the psychological shift necessary for changing that tendency in my.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

in me.

Writing on the fly!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

"I will need Superman strength to do the psychological shift necessary...."

In the 'having-it-all' mentality, this very salient point is always overlooked and really should be considered in any measurements of 'work'. Its another job in and of itself to do said 'shifting'.

btw, kitchen redo: my idea! Dang!
but I'll soon earn those points back and then some, when said kitchen is finished and I'll be providing more than just 'dessert' to the drywall king! (New stove, sink, granite countertops, stone floor, pendant lamps!)

9:07 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

(New stove, sink, granite countertops, stone floor, pendant lamps!)

Did you promise to start cooking gourmet meals for this? I'm so excited for you! I'm dying for a re-do myself. OTOH, if you liked 1986, you'll love my kitchen.

We might do a mini-makeover (paint, new window treatments, possible floor) this summer, though, which is 60% less exciting, but very necessary.

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home