Saturday, April 07, 2007

Pluto's gain

Well, taking a page from last week's lesson in parenting, after I pick up my daughter from her current play date, I'm going to pull out a sewing kit she got for Christmas that I had put away as soon as it got hard--something about a French knot that I couldn't master, so at the time, I distracted her with cartoons, and every time she brings it up again (though it's been a while), I distract her with something else.

The benefit of returning to this project should be two-fold: 1. project completion and 2. the lesson of tacking difficulties.

Meanwhile the $3.47 tomato cages at Lowe's did not suit my husband, so his weekend project is to create some sort of "infrared heat-seaking bird-destroying tomato protection unit." That'll show spring robins!

But before all of that happens, I first need to determine what happened to the two-year-old's underwear, which I thought was on him when we left for the store, but seems to have disappeared while we were gone.

This spring, I have decided to tackle the difficult task of sewing curtains for the children's rooms--the new big boy room and my daughter's because I am ill satisfied with the work I did for her three years ago. This will put me in extremely cranky mood once it gets under way. The crucial part is measuring and cutting the fabric. There's where I generally lose patience (early in the project) and start eyeballing and cutting madly, which makes the rest of the project not so easy either. The next most difficult part is threading the machine. For that I have to ask my husband's help because I can never remember how. In his world, a sewing machine is a power tool and he has mastered it.

As I noted in my post below, it's unseasonable chilly here, quite gray, really, so the child's sewing project, painting eggs and some cocoa ought to fit the bill, at least while Demeter still mourns Persephone's loss and bestows on us more gray then we surely deserve.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous zeus said...

How darest thou to mention greek mythology and not mention me!!!

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Gary M said...

Wow...Zeus! Pretty high class readership, Nancy.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

We met back when I was single and in my twenties. What can I say? He was handsome, powerful, wealthy--he had that certain air about him that attracts nervous girls and makes them feel ...at ease.

Bottom line: I was young and I needed the money.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Gary M said...

When I was in college, guys were constantly losing their girlfriends to Zeus...I was glad to see James Woods give this character the takedown he deserved in Disney's "Hercules".

1:33 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

"IIIIIIIIIIII've got James Woods!"

Annotate that, Gary!

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Gary M said...

Sounds familiar, but it doesn't quite click. You got me, NCM. Where's it from?

4:39 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Since I knew you liked Futurama, I had you pegged as a Family Guy aficionado too. Here's a link on the James Wood episode, in which Peter and James Woods sing "I've got James Woods" to the tune of "You Two" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

In my search for this link I found that FOC Ray Richmond is also a fan of James Woods.

Gee, I'm a busy and important person today!

5:04 PM  
Anonymous luther said...

And all this time Nancy I thought you were only attracted to demigods ...

11:01 PM  
Blogger Mike (in S.A.) LaRoche said...

Only the best for our Nancy! :)

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Gary M said...

I tried and failed to get James Woods to Moscow for our Freedom Film Festival, but at least I got to meet the guy at his pal Dan Tana's restaurant. (Dan motions me aside: "Jimmy, he hasn't had too much luck with the girls lately, you read the papers?")

The Family Guy reference should have worked, Nancy. Your shrewd instincts were correct, except for one oddity you couldn't have taken into account. My kids are now (barely) 18 and (nearly) 16. When Family Guy and Futurama were at their height, my kids were at a more impressionable stage, and Futurama's dirty jokes were encrypted more deeply than Family Guy's. Simple as that. Now we're as prone to laugh at Peter and Lois as at Fry and Leela, but I've missed out on the early years.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Gary M said...

BTW: Am I the only one in America who thinks that CNBC's Maria Bartiromo should play Leela in a movie? Seriously; for a two eyed person, there's something distinctly Leela-esque about the Money Honey.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

The Money Honey - Brains, beauty, and.... Leela-esqueness! No fair!

16 & 18? Just follow the light at the end of the tunnel....almost there!

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Gary M said...

In my household, I'M the Money Honey! Thanks for the encouraging word, Dana--you're right, as usual.

2:37 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Gary, you've answered a question that's been in the back of my mind, which is, will I ever be able to watch prime time TV with my kids? The answer seems to be no.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Prime time must die! (but not until Jack Bauer wins!)...

Gary, I can't tell you how WONDERFULLY CLOSE we are to experiencing empty nest syndrome! I say, BRING IT ON! Periodically, I whine to the 17 year old, why haven't you moved out yet, the others have? He usually mumbles some silliness about still being a minor, still in high school.........excuses, excuses, excuses!

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Gary M said...

I saw Lionel Chetwynd at lunch yesterday (he's the leading conservative writer in Hollywood).

He said, "We love to tell people, you can always turn off the TV. You can turn off the TV, but you can't turn off the culture".

How true.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home