Friday, April 13, 2007

Two birthdays and a wedding

One wedding down. 1.5 birthdays to go. We opened family presents while away at the wedding weekend--the party is next weekend--and the entire crowd sang Happy Birthday to her during the reception. There was the slightest hint of a pleased look at the corners of her mouth.

Mostly, at six years old, she was a beautiful flower girl and quite well behaved during the chilly 50-degree ceremony, as was her almost-three-year old brother, who was finally convinced to wear the tie after seeing daddy put on his. He started banging his feet loudly together during the exchange of vows. (Well, it was loud to me right next to him.) And after I gave him a stern look, then came the whispered voice: "Mom." I ignore. "Moooooooooooooooooooom..." He then shows me how quietly he can bang his shoes together and gives me a questioning look to ask if that is OK.

This is no time for a lesson, I thought, so I accede to his wishes, while the other flower girl cries and talks and sings throughout the entire ceremony. We stayed at the reception until about 10:30, when I had to drag the toddler off the dance floor--he'd made a lot of friends and fans with his swiveling hips, but the accumulated loss of sleep for the weekend was already at five hours each. As they both of school tomorrow, I'm pushing for an early bedtime. The toddler is protesting that "da dark hasn't come out yet!"

It will come as soon as he shuts his eyes.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike (in S.A.) LaRoche said...

This was a good weekend to be away. I heard that the DWF area had particularly violent rainstorms.

By the way, who got married?

8:50 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

How it all changes - little ones struggle to stay awake insisting da dark hasn't yet come, and we the weary adults know the dark just can't come soon enough!

Sounds like a full and lovely weekend, Nancy. I hope you got pictures of Mr. Swivel Hips...there will be girlfriends in his future who would just ooh and ah over such evidence!

10:31 PM  
Anonymous kathy said...

man I really love "da dark hasn't come out yet"

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home