Saturday, May 19, 2007

Everything costs money

I'm back and irritable because I just ran the numbers on how much childcare would cost if I went back to work full time. Seems hardly worth it from a financial point of view, although...

...well, that's about where I am.

This week I interviewed a young physician just starting his practice in a nearby town. My forthcoming article does not discuss it, but what fascinated me about his story was the business aspect. He's starting his practice from the ground up, and he's been open for business for four and a half months. He's up to 20 patients a week, with a target of 20 a day, or 5000 patient files.

So far, he has about five insurance carriers, including Humana, but he's still waiting on a bunch of major carriers to approve him. One undotted 'I' and he's got another three-month wait through the bureaucratic maze.

As a doctor of osteopathy, he's licensed to practice all the medicine M.D.'s are licensed for, including delivering babies. He's declining the childbirth, however, because the insurance carriers have deemed conception to six-weeks postpartum--with all of those checkups--worth about $1500. The real money, he says, is when mom starts having bladder control problems later in life. (Something for all of us to look forward to!)

Plus, the insurance to deliver babies is $84,000 a year. That's without carrying c-section insurance.

(Oh, don't start a discussion on tort reform here, Nancy. Do. Not. Start!)

Anyway, one thing I like about him is that he owns the property on which his office sits, and on Saturdays, he's the one who mows the lawn. Now that's down to earth.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

"The real money, he says, is when mom starts having bladder control problems later in life. "

Oh great. Its not enough we inflated to whale-sized proportions and bore children but now we get to find out that there's more fun to come with lazy kegels? Give me a break. I financed a swimming pool and jacuzzi for my doctor with three children - he's not taking a holiday in Europe on me!

...and, Nancy, bring on the tort reform - I'd like to hear what you think.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

Oh, don't start a discussion on tort reform here, Nancy. Do. Not. Start!

Please, do! :)

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Gary M said...

Yeah, we can take it!

11:26 AM  
Blogger David N. Scott said...

We're totally in the 'but childcare costs MONEY' zone right now. They had layoffs and J's new job within 3 weeks and she was one of the ones who got marched, so now we're both searching and meanwhile we're paying for the preschool to not lose our slot and keep avaiability for interviews...

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home