Sunday, May 06, 2007

Glutton for punishment

New shade, my friends! New Roman shade for the big boy room to go with his big boy bed. [Aside: the big boy in question acted like quite the little boy in the pre-dawn hours after having a nightmare. I come with you! I come with you! he cried running towards me in the hallway. We tried but neither of us slept after that.] It took me five hours to complete them, with a little help from my husband. I think I like it. But I find myself in the position of wondering if I'll really be proud of anything I do in domestic artistry, not because it's not worth pride, but because I am unfairly critical to myself.

To be honest, there's some seriously and comically curvey stitching on the ring tape, making not-so-even folds when the shade is pulled up, but it's not bad either. A professional would have charged $193.

Sewing projects make me tense enough to show my tension and I had to add a general family apology at the end of the day to the individual one I gave my daughter at the beginning. There was some hopping up and down and accusations that NO one cared about my project. You would not be able to tell which of us was the six year old and which was not. Fortunately, I can, and we all can, burst into laughter at my childish outbreaks.

Heading out to Canton today for its famous flea market and expect to come back with $20 worth of junk. Wish me luck!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

As I was forever readjusting the tension because of an inevitable knotted mess, I chucked the old Singer and happily accepted that sewing machines were God's way of telling me to stick to a needle and thread or ask my mom, who considers perfect tension adjustment and perfect seams attainable art forms to master...thus, I am ever so relieved to cross sewing off the domestic goddess list of self-imposed ridiculous expectations!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

No entries since Sunday? That sure was a long trip to the flea market! :)

7:08 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hey, Mike in S. A.! I enjoyed your recent post on Festering Swamp. I wanted to post a comment, but I'm feeling un-postworthy lately.

Also, got a great vintage handbag and punchbowl w/ cups at Canton!

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Gary M said...

Nancy, if you're ever feeling unpostworthy, it's probably a misplaced fit of modesty--crank it up, sis, we're listening! Plus your flea market sounds great. They sell any old radios? Cameras? TV sets? Weirdly streamlined chrome appliances of the 1940s? Just asking. Nostalgic cheapskates want to know. And need to know!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous kathy said...

I miss your blog!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home