Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Environmental politics has its consequences*
Although Uganda's National Environmental Management Authority has approved DDT for malaria control, Western environmentalists continue to undermine our efforts and discourage G-8 governments from supporting us. The EU has acknowledged our right to use DDT, but some consumer and agricultural groups repeat myths and lies about the chemical. They should instead help us use it strictly to control malaria
According to the author of this piece, Dr. Sam Zaramba the director general of health services for the Republic of Uganda, the lack of DDT is costing 100,000 Ugandan lives a year.

*As, I suppose, the lack thereof.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

This is off-topic, but I just saw a comment at the Daily Gut by a "NancyM" making fun of Dan Rather. Was that you?

11:51 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

It was me! The user name required six characters and I screwed up my email address the first time I tried to create a user name and password. At the time, I was trying to log in as Nancy M.; but somehow I put in my name where the email address goes, or something. I wasn't concentrating very hard and once it's done it appears to be permanent. (I think my head must have been in Billings that day.)

I kept thinking I'd write Treach and ask him to fix what I screwed up, but then I just decided to switch to NancyM.

But I'd prefer to have just one username throughout the internets, so people might recognize me better.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

Well, now there are two Festering Swampers at The Daily Gut! I just registered and left a couple of comments.

12:03 AM  
Blogger David N. Scott said...

Three, actually. I've been over there for a bit. My commenting window keeps shrinking, tho, and I've had trouble getting in the habit after they had all that trouble a ways back. :(

As for the post, I like hiking and animals a lot and am probably a bit on the lefty side when it comes to the environment, BUT I can't get my head around people dying to save birds. Hurts my head.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home