Sunday, August 12, 2007

6:00 and 102 degrees

If it were cooler, I'd take a walk to work off the road food I've eaten for the last two days. It shouldn't be long now, though.

Kids are probably in San Antonio by now with their other grandparents. The house is quiet; the house is still.

Whenever I get off a trip, be it one day, two day or three weeks, checking the mail comes next after unloading the car. In the mail today was our water bill, and with it came a survey asking us what types of stores and restaurants we'd like to have in town. Excellent! I want a Houston's restaurant--they've got a great sliced chicken salad with a lime dressing and peanut butter sauce. I hunted down the recipe once; here it is:

Lime Dressing:
1/2 cup lime juice divided by 4 = 2 TBSP
4 teaspoons honey mustard divided by 4 = 1 tsp.
7 1/2 tablespoons honey divided by 4 = 2 ¼ TBSP
4 tablespoons oil divided by 4 = 1 TBSP
2 cloves minced garlic divided by 4 = ½ clove
1 teaspoon pepper divided by 4 = ¼ tsp.
1/2 teaspoon salt divided by 4 = dash of salt

Peanut Butter Sauce:
4 tablespoons peanut butter
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons hot water
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon ground ginger

They add tortilla strips which soak up the dressing nicely. My husband likes that salad only with grilled tuna on it. I think they use the same lime dressing, but of course, not the peanut butter sauce.

For retail stores, I'd like a Pottery Barn and William Sonoma; if our town has to be filled with chains, why can't they be good chains? And just because I can't really afford to shop them often, doesn't mean I can't draw inspiration from browsing them.

My husband noted that there are no auto-parts store in Flower Mound. I note that this is the first neighborhood that I've lived in since I moved out of my parents' house that doesn't have a check-cashing store or a pawn shop. Wouldn't it be a hoot if we requested those?

And a Hooter's, added my husband.

Hmmm, I think not.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

There's a Hooter's less than a mile away from my house and a Barnes & Noble (w/ Starbucks) and Best Buy not much farther away.

I definitely picked well!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Mostly we've got an 'ecelecti chic' downtown (so I've been informed) and across town, the typical center anchored by Super Targe, B&N, and Cost Plus(fave).

In spite of the above, across town there is a Larry Flynt joint...worst part about it, besides the inside is its exterior - its a hideously garrish buildng painted in horrifically bright jewel tones. It all but screams, 'Cheap lowlife place, can't you tell our lack of taste which is blinding your eyes?'

btw, a friend who is 52 swears she is going to apply for a job at her local Hooters and when she is turned down, sue them for age discrimination! I wish her the best of luck.

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Luther said...

There is a pawn shop near 3040 and 121 - so about 7 minutes drive.
There is a Hooters on 35 with an estimated drive time of 12 minutes. About the same drive for Best Buy, Super Target, Lowes and Home Depot, Barnes & Noble.

I guess add about 2 minutes to each of these from your house. Technically not in Flower Mound but close by. Oh and you could just walk over "the mound" to the Starbucks. :)

The nearest Pep Boys however is about 20 minutes away in Carrollton. Not sure about the nearest Larry Flynt joint. :)

7:40 PM  
Blogger kcatmull said...

you have to request a check cashing place!!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

And just because I can't really afford to shop them often, doesn't mean I can't draw inspiration from browsing them.

That's what I do. I don't think I can afford anything from Pottery Barn, but I like to look and get ideas. I can often come up with something similar, even ifit means searching the web a bit.

After I graduated with my BA and was looking for a job, I had this amusing conversation about Hooters in my parents' car...

Me: Hey, look! A Hooters! I could get a job there! Hahaha!
Mom: Yes, I'm sure you could!
Dad: ....HUH?!

10:03 PM  
Blogger gcotharn said...

I am a classic Cro-magnon man in almost every respect except one: I hate Hooters. It's demeaning to overpay for mediocre food b/c of waitresses in skimpy outfits. I will go there with friends, for beer and sports on TV.

My Mom once ended up in a Hooters after a Ranger game. She, also, was offended... by the lack of ample breasts. False advertising. She: "Where are the Hooters? These girls have almost nothing up top."

10:52 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Your mom's sounds like a character.

I have never been in a Hooter's, but my neighbor swears it's family friendly.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

elizabeth, they could start a spin off of Hooter's that hires only middle-aged women, called Hooted.

Ha!

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home