Wednesday, August 22, 2007

At the mall

Across the mall from Bed Bath and Beyond is a gourmet chocolate store, and if the kids are good, we can each get a treat before we head back out to the car.

The kids were good, all right. The clerk behind the counter announced a buy-one-get-one free special on caramel apples, and though I usually limit us to one small truffle each, I couldn't pass up the offer, and neither could they.

Emma picked the apple covered in white mini-chocolate chips and Brendan picked the one covered in mini-M and M's. Both used caramel as an adhesive to the apple. We brought them home, worrying about the heat and would it melt the sweets, but at home they were as perfect as they'd been in the store.

The children then proceeded to eat the candy off the apple without bothering to take an actual bight out of the apple. In fairness to Emma, she's missing her two front teeth, but my three-year-old has no excuse!

Here's what the Bed Bath and Beyond website says about the company (click on corporate buttons in the lower right):
Founded in 1971, Bed Bath [and] Beyond Inc. is a nationwide chain of superstores selling predominantly better quality domestics merchandise and home furnishings. The Company's over 800 stores principally range in size from 20,000 to 50,000 square feet, with some stores exceeding 80,000 square feet.
One time, at the BB and B in Manhattan, a woman began yelling, "Help! Help! I can't get out of this store! I can't find the exit! Help! Heeeeeelp!" She has a point--in free-standing stores, it is hard to find the entrance and exit, but at the mall, it's easy enough.

Today, I went to buy a wedding present for my husband's cousin and some new bed pillows for home. BB and B are masters at marketing, I think. They have tall bins filled to the brim with inexpensive items that catch my attention every time I go. Today the item I bought, which was not on my list, was a Click O Flame refillable multi-purpose lighter (two-pack) for $2.99. My inlaws have such a device and it looks so convenient that I've always wanted one.

Items I've bought at BB and B that I later regretted include a pizza-slice-shaped tupperware-type container and a spherical lettuce keeper. Each seemed so promising, but both failed me miserably by being too awkward and cumbersome in my cupboards and refrigerator.

Meanwhile, BB and B's stock has been as high as $43 a share six months ago, but is now around $34.

Interesting: Blogger is rejecting my use of the ampersand.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

After reading this I realized that I've never set foot in a Bed Bath & Beyond before!

7:22 PM  
Anonymous allan said...

Good...you're still a guy.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous allan said...

And I'm still annoyed that Home
Depot hasn't yet stocked towels and bed stuff for the male males. They could just call it Home Depot & Beyond if they had to. Although a guy can sneak buy all those kinds of things out of Sears if they haul it out of the store on a riding lawnmower.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I'm annoyed that Home Depot won't call us back on some questions, including pricing, on two cabinets we want to order to fill the whole where the back of our fire place used to be. It's been three days now.

Lowes I think tried to attract the gals with some cool kitchen organization stuff.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Hey! I'm a girl and I've never stepped foot inside BB&B either!

Ours is next to Cost Plus World Market. Being a pathetic shopper (anything more than 20 minutes sends me into a tailspin), its Cost Plus hands down, every time.

btw, I have heard nightmare tales about Home Depot's special order cabinetry. Heads-up.

9:33 PM  
Anonymous allan said...

Nancy, I might suggest NOT using HD for anything on the custom side. They are just fine when it's generic and such, but they don't seem set up very well for custom designed things. I believe it's because their suppliers are huge manufacturers who really don't like the small stuff.

It may be a hassle to get a few quotes, but I'd suggest using a local cabinet shop. My guess is they are getting a bit hungry for work. Even little jobs would be welcome.


Uh-oh, this may be a double entry....nothing happened on the first try.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

whole? I mean hole--doh!

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Tech Support said...

Allan..."Home Depot hasn't yet stocked towels and bed stuff for the male males"...they do! Towels are on the paint aisle, and sold in 1, 5, and 20-lb bags. Bedding is one aisle over where you get tarps. New matresses are with the lawn furniture.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous cassandra said...

We don't have BBB in Missoula but we have Linen 'n' Things.

But I tend to go into meltdown in big box stores anymore. I want everything and nothing I see.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

Barnes & Noble/Borders is my achilles heel.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Barnes & Noble/Borders is my achilles heel. That is a nice place to hang out, without children.

Linens 'n' Things is a smaller version of BBB...and yet they seem to pack the same amount of stuff in there.

tech support, for those of you who weren't reading me -- gosh five years ago -- was the pseudonym I used for my husband when I started my blog. Back then, I was afraid that angry liberals would hunt me down and be mean to me for starting to have new opinions. It could still happen, but I've been working out since then. ;)

Cassandra, I enjoyed you post on firearms--oh, wait, I'll go post it on your blog.

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home