Friday, August 10, 2007

Will Mike Huckabee get the dieters' vote?

He lost 100 pounds, you know. Tonight on Special Report, he said he has two rules for food: 1. If it wasn't a food a hundred years ago, it's not a food now; and 2. If it comes through a window, it's not a food.

This is very similar to my thinking (not my behavior, mind you). When I had twenty or so pounds to lose after my first baby, I had to change the way I thought about food. I couldn't stand the thought of not having chips with my sandwich at lunch. My husband said I could have the chips, but I'd have to increase my exercise.

Well, it turns out I had to increase my exercise, and I had to pass on the chips. Forever! Actually, as I tell my kids they are a once-in-a-while food. Back then, my thought process included focusing on Laura Ingalls (as portrayed by Melissa Gilbert) on Little House on the Prairie. I was never a big fan of the show, but I do remember a scene in which she showed great excitement over getting a piece of candy at the general store.

It's just not that exciting nowadays to get a piece of candy because candy (and chips and fries and cakes and other assorted treats) are ubiquitous.. So I contemplated a lot on the diet of pre-industrial America, and that inspired me to cut a lot out of my daily meals.

As it happens I've put on about five or six pounds since January, primarily because I have not been working out as intensely as I was a year ago, but I have been eating as intensely. Anyway, with all this work on the house, we've been eating out a lot, and, since my kids asked, I explained to them today that eating out a lot, fast food or otherwise, tends to put weight on you. No big deal or anything, but when the dust settles I need to do a lot more cooking. And what I need most of all are good summer recipes, the non-grill kind. Dinner time is the hottest part of the day--I don't want to be in the backyard grilling.

Aside: I just figured out what tonight's mystery meal is--taken from the freezer hours ago. It appears to be some paella my dad brought by a few months ago...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

If it comes through a window, it's not a food.

That's a good way of looking at it, though the rule might technically eliminate venison from the menu in places where deer venture out into the road!

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Sophia said...

Pasta, I eat only pasta!
No diets just more pasta!

Ciao!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

...cheesey, creamy pasta...mmm...

6:56 AM  
Anonymous allan said...

Is this one of the reasons you have a link to the Daily Gut? Just to keep you on mission, so to speak...

Not for everyone, but when confronted with that middle years male beltline deal, I took bread down to one to two pieces per day. Nothing from a foil or crinkly plastic bag. Then a generalized intent to eat mostly food that didn't need cooking. Very weird, yet somewhat effective. Of course, I do burn quite a few caloric units whether or not I'm abusing wood and metal products on the jobsite. Trying to go to bed feeling physically spent each night seems to work, too.

I quit smoking June 2, 1970, and yet still enjoy smelling the cigarets the guys light up on the job. No desire to inhale, just like he said, I did not have sex with that cigaret. Food habit changes are much harder. Like a reverse piggy bank that you fill up one hunger pang at a time.

To naturally slender people, which you and I seem to have in common, a few extra inches or pounds bring on more consternation than a larger gain on a 'big boned' human unit.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Elmo said...

I have been reading a book called The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals . It is really interesting and deals with similar thoughts to the one you mention above. Things have changed so much in the last century or so, especially with food and how we approach it. It's really scary to see what we currently accept as 'normal food' in America.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous luther said...

I've been trying to lose 10-15 pounds for 3 years now! I used to be one of those very lean people who could eat anything and not put on any weight - that changed in my mid-late 30's when I started putting on 1-2 pounds a year. I didn't really notice it too much until I went to put on an old suite and could not button the pants anymore. So I've tried cutting back a bit on carbs and working out more but seem to be at a stale mate - but at least that's better than continuing to put on more weight I guess.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

allan, I cut out bread from our dinners back when I was trying to lose the weight. It's redundant whenever you serve another starch anyway.

It's one of my problems when hosting--I tend to assume no one wants fries b/c their so unhealthy, and just a small burger because too much meat will give people a stomach ache. Hee hee. I'm working on being less of a nanny.

Luther, I started adding one pound a year probably when I was 20, but I was arguably underweight then--not unhealthily so--and I had room to put on a pound a year for, oh-- 8 to 10 years, so like you I took no notice.

Around 32, I started to laugh about it; around 35 I panicked! And like you, working out doesn't take it off of me unless I bust my workout up to the next level, that is, if I'm jogging three miles in 35 minutes, I need to shave off 5-10 minutes and begin lifting weights twice weekly. No time this year!

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home