Friday, September 21, 2007

Are you ready for some football?

Oh, I am so the boss of you! My older brother has been sending erstwhile Houstonians detailed analyses of their professional football and (sometimes) basketball teams since email was invented. Or thereabouts. Since blogs were invented, I've been telling him to blog it and he's been telling me to hush up about it. (We're not allowed to say shut up.) He's got a lively, punchy writing style that makes even philistines like me interested. (I gave up on pro football when the Oilers gave up to the Buffalo Bills in a playoff game waaaaay back in the day. They were leading the Bills something like 35 to 0 at the half and STILL LOST THE GAME! My heart was so broken, I walked away and never looked back.)

But looky here! The Bull Sheet, accessible from his page here. It's funny that his first post (scroll down) begins [ah! cutting and pasting from his blog doesn't work! I'll paraphrase.] by alerting the world to my lack of managerial status in our relationship. In other words, I'm not the boss of him.

I bristle when people tell me, "you should ...." because Kenny and I had a childhood phase where most of what he said to me began with those two words. It drove me crazy, as it would any other 10-year-old big-ear, freckle face. So, whether it's "you should be proud of yourself," or "you should put your money in bonds," or "you should really edit your work better," I still bristle, no matter who's saying it.

So, I told him he should blog--and he is!
I recently provided my annual "State of the Texans" report for my Californiafied brother, projected a 10-6 record and talked a little smack about Vince Young and the Titans. Historically speaking, there is ample evidence to suggest that all of this will come back to bite me in the butt. I'm not worried. The beginning of football season is made for optimists. Anything is possible, everyone is healthy, and all dreams are still in tact.

Welcome to my world.
The above is transcribed because, freakishly enough, I can't copy and paste. What I paste comes over as an invisible box. If I highlight the box, I can see the words, but they still won't be visible after I click post. I'm not complaining, Kenny, I'm just saying you really should do something about that.

I know, I know: hush up!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Favorite Brother said...

You kill me.....but still aren't the boss of me.

(You are cutting and pasting fine, I suspect, but the letters you are pasting are the same color as your background.....white.)

Love ya!

Ken(ny)

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Vivian Louise said...

That would be my favorite childhood phrase I didn't hear until I was grown up. I can't use "you aren't the boss of me!" enough to make up for the trauma.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Wendfy said...

Nancy,
I love it. I also remember a few bits of advise from Kenny. Wendy

3:21 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

I would have thought the color would be dropped, but let me give it a try from another part of your page.

Ken(ny), you're not the boss of Wendy either!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hmmm, I was able to post the text, but it still picks up some sort of box, ala photoshop er somethin'. Hmmm.

OK, wine time.

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home