Thursday, September 20, 2007

Nothing to do because we like it that way!

I really should rename this blog Back Burner because I tend to let information simmer before blurting out an opinion. Not always, but often enough.

D Magazine recently ruffled feathers with a cover that read: "Why You Should Hate Southlake" and a subhead that read: "Because the kids are smarter, stronger, and better-looking than yours. And they prove it every Friday night." Southlake is a town nearby to Flower Mound here in the DFW Metroplex.

Oh no they di-in't! Apparently some Flower Mounders took offense and Sprouts, a kind of Central Market junior, removed the offending magazine from the racks. I haven't read the article. I couldn't find it online, though it must be there amid all the best things to do in Dallas. As I write this post, D Magazine is not loading so I can't even search for the link now. The story supposedly says nice things about Southlakers--I think the high school football team in particular. Here's a blog post that links to the actual article.

So, Pegasus (which used to be financially connected with D) and Front Burner, which is D's blog, jumped on the story like crickets to the Mound and I've had chirping in my head ever since. Why is the cover so offensive to people? I've written before that when you move to Flower Mound you are issued two children at the border. That's not far from the truth. Flower Mound, and I expect Southlake, is an incubation center for the long, long, loooong maturation of human young. People here want their children to have nothing to do outside of sports, art, studies and church. By the time the kids go crazy from the lack of other types of stimulation, they're old enough to leave the nest, launched from atop the Mound.

So, publishing a seemingly hostile cover even though it was a joke (again, I wish I knew but D won't load) is not very nice to the kids and that makes mom mad. She didn't drop two-inch heels, dining out and a path to the boardroom only to let her children be subject to unkind comparisons. Protect, protect, protect.

That's my take, anyway. Again, I haven't read the actual article. I have an acquaintance at D, and I'm seeing her this Sunday. So maybe I'll have an update after I get her take.

More importantly than any of the above, I made a delicious pot roast today with garlic, fresh oregano, onion and thyme, potatoes and carrots.

Salad on the side. Yum.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous luther (the mound rules) casey said...

We are about to go and toilet paper the South Lake school and put burning bags of feces in front of every teachers door!!!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Oh the drama! Our town is similar in that kids gripe there is nothing to do (our mall has 7 shops, lots of orange groves) but its also the place they inevitably return to once they start begin their own families saying its the best place ever to be a kid. Funny how it changes.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous allan said...

Sprouts...something about that got me curious. And I was right. The two guys at the top of corporation are named Boney. Their family patriarch was Henry Boney who founded a chain of 'health' food stores in San Diego County. Actually they bought into an existing franchise named Frazier Farms. The first chain name was Boney's Markets. When Henry passed away the family squabbled over the direction they wanted to go, so they worked out a split of the stores. The result was a couple of stores keeping the name Boney's, but the ambitious ones wanting to expand the business renamed theirs Henry's. I can see they expanded into Texas and Arizona, too, with the Sprouts brand.

So there you go, Queen of the Mound, another small world moment brought to you by the Crack Swamp Research Team. Who are indeed smarter, stronger, and better looking than your average researcher types. The D people are contacting our people this very week. They heard how hated we've become, too.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...


So there you go, Queen of the Mound,


All shall LOVE me and despair!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous luther said...

About 30 thousand women in Flower Mound are now deeply offended and boycotting this blog because someone had to go and call Nancy the "Queen of the Mound". :)

3:56 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Yeah, but they know it's true!

5:32 PM  
Blogger David N. Scott said...

How.... odd. TO point out the obvious, people are too sensitive.

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home