Saturday, September 01, 2007

Ready for take off

She was very proud of that helmet, which she inherited from a neighbor two years her senior. We didn't really use it much as a safety device, as she has not been much into triking or biking during her young life...until today when she asked about riding her bike to the park. As her three-year-old brother would be in no condition for that walk, I nixed it but brought the bike with us in case she wanted to ride at the park.

Upon departing, she asked if she could ride it home. (Blank stare from mom.) Sure, I said. Make sure to stay on the sidewalks and walk when crossing streets.

You mean I have to ride by myself? she asked. Yep.

I waited for her at corners, watched her in the rear view. She's too big for her bike and it still has training wheels, but she made it home, just like she did earlier this week on her first day of first grade--all smiles.

It looks like Santa is going to have to bring some bikes home for us this Christmas.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Too cute, Nancy. And really nice parenting moment, reasonable compromise...good for you.

I think I see another International Beauty and Style Guru in the making!

3:57 PM  
Blogger kcatmull said...

oh what a brave girl, taking risks and stepping up and finding out she can do hard things! You are such a great mom to make her feel safe doing that.

9:09 PM  
Blogger kcatmull said...

ps you sent me that picture to cheer me up once when I was blue and I still treasure it

9:09 PM  
Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

That's a great picture, Nancy. I hope your kids enjoy their new bikes this Christmas! :)

10:59 PM  
Blogger David N. Scott said...

Neat! Kinda scary, tho. :) I don't know if I could do that with the Boo. But then people drive like morons around here... :/

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Papa Ken said...

SHE already has a bike. So you must be contemplating a "flock" of bikes, the better for her to fly with. There is just a chance that she may not have flying in a flock in mind. I see a short story in the making here. However, if you like bike riding, a fun opportunity. Me, they make my bottom hurt. But I have been there, as the home movies will attest.

6:50 AM  
Anonymous allan said...

My son's first foray on 2 wheels ended up in some bushes. The only bad part was I ended up there with him.

"C'mon, dad, get up...we go do it again."

I like the following along in a car trick. Could have used that about 17 years ago.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks everybody!

papa ken, her bike is too small--that's why we're putting one on Santa's list. And you're right, I should probably get myself a used one for when she loses interest in my company!

3:19 PM  
Anonymous luther said...

Devon requested last week that her and Colleen ride bikes to school instead of Colleen just walking her. She really hasn't been riding, and she still needs training wheels, and we were thinking to make her wait until she doesn't need training wheels or the kids may pick on her ... ?

As for Santa bringing bikes - let's hope he didn't take any etiquette lessons from the tooth fairy! :)

3:38 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Ha! Good one!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

let's hope he didn't take any etiquette lessons from the tooth fairy! :)

Late in replying here--but that was hilarious and well-deserved!

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home