Friday, November 30, 2007

Alzheimer's test?

And would you want to know in advance?
The company is also validating protein-based tests for Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, the latter an affliction for which the only conclusive test is currently an autopsy. Among the possible benefits of a proteomic Alzheimer's test, due out late next year, would be the ability to definitively separate sufferers from those with other neurodegenerative problems, now a major obstacle to running effective clinical trials of drugs for Alzheimer's.
I wonder if long-term care insurance companies not accept you if you tested positive for a neurodegenerative disease. (Via Instapundit.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

"I wonder if long-term care insurance companies not accept you if you tested positive for a neurodegenerative disease."

This would be my concern.

I already don't seek medical care for certain things I don't want on my records. Like I'm reasonably sure I'm developing asthma. No way do I want that on my records, because I think it likely that I'll someday seek private health insurance rather than group (if I ever work from home). Blue Cross Blue Shield once turned me down because of my antidepressants. Asthma would make me even higher risk.

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home