Monday, December 03, 2007

Leno's lay-offs

Well, they're not really his lay-offs; the writers' strike is not his fault, but non-staff writers non-writer staff who have been laid off because of the strike are mad at him nonetheless.
The final indignation was a Christmas bonus from Leno to his employees last week that was intended to help them get through the strike but that many found lacking. Staffers mostly were awarded about $100 per year of service, roughly the same bonus they earned last year.
Leno's rep says that was not meant to be the help that he's going to give them through this strike and reminds us that in addition to the half mil out of Leno's pocket for the Christmas bonuses, Leno dished out $2 million for the staff two years ago for his tenth anniversary.

In my fantasy lottery win, every check I send out comes with a note pleading the recipient not to rely on me to send them money and that this may very well be the last check they receive from me.

Because look what happens! Everybody's mad at Leno even though he didn't cause the strike. Even still, he as well as the other Daddy Warbuckses of late night television, are paying salaries out of pocket.

Did you know some of the writers' salaries are $500,000 a year? Not bad work if you can get it. I know little of Hollywood salaries, but Rob Long's three-bean-salad analogy did not make much sense to me. (I loved his recent essay on the French shrug in the dead-tree version of National Review a few weeks ago, though!).

Anyway, I have been laid off three times in my life and all three times before I had a mortgage, though of course I had rent and a car payment, but each time with the bad news, I never screamed, as someone reportedly did at the Tonight Show, when hearing of his employment misfortune.

Update: Corrected. Sheesh, I'll never make $500,000 with all these mistakes!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Any person worth their salt and understanding the tenuousness of business will always make sure they have an escape plan, a contingency plan, money in the bank to live off for six months, etc., etc.

At least that's what grownups do. They don't whine and expect those who have adquately planned to bail them out.

Oh. Wait. Were we talking subprime mortgages?...

7:04 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

There are plans and then there are executed plans...

7:14 PM  
Blogger David N. Scott said...

It's surprising how long you can last without money. Julie or I have been out of work for at least five months of this year and we're making tiny salaries compared to what we're used to, but we're still sort of around. My FICO's going to be diving next year, but Julie's is still okay and that's really pretty good considering business was cruddy the last three months of *last* year on top of everything else.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

"There are plans and then there are executed plans..."

This might be where the 'grown-up' part comes in... its prudent to plan on the bottom falling out at somep point in time. And its easier to learn the wisdom of this before, rather than in the aftermath.

$500,000 a year? I have a cap on my sympathies and they don't extend to that amount.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

OK, wait, wait, wiat, wait.... These writers feel "laid off?" They'd rather be working for Leno right now? That would essentially be "crossing the picket line." Or are they saying leno should pay them for striking? As nice as that would be, the fact is that striking bring hardship.

And since almost every single form of filmed entertainment has lost their writers, there's absolutely no lack of opportunity to cross the picket line. If they want to be writing for money, as I assume they must if they think they've been "laid off," then opportunists need look no futher than now!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ohhhhh, nevermind my last comment! I just read the strike-out correction. Heh....

8:40 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Yes, not the clearest writing on my part. I think I'll even go back now and substitute a proper noun for a pronoun.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous carol said...

Gee, I'd love to get laid off. I used to get laid off all the time in the music business. You'd have a couple weeks, ok maybe a couple months, but you knew the work would start up again. I had a lot of fun with that time off.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Bill Clinton said...

What are these writers complaining about? I love getting laid in my off time!

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Bob Dole said...

Every time is off-time to you, Billy-boy!

9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home