Sunday, December 16, 2007

Thank you for recycling

Honey, guess what? Guess what! (Oh, the Homeowners Association must have loved seeing me drive home today.) Guess what!

What, dear?

Come see! You might want to bring the camera!

Why?

I'll tell you why--PALETTES.

Palettes?

Yes--palletes! ! I found a place that sells palettes for only $3 each!

How many did you buy?

50!

Why?

We're going to cover the attic with them. And then, guess what! Guess what!

What?

We're going to put insulation between the boards of the top and bottoms of the palettes!

?

!

?

Everyone I've told this to thinks this is a great idea! Everyone!

:/

This solves our storage problem and will help us heat the home!

:0

Well, I was late with the camera to this project, but below is a picture of some of the palettes Jack Gene brought home Thursday and Friday night. Fifty palettes requires two trips on the way home from work.

I think in the end, he only used about forty, so we're hoping he can sell back the other ten for $2 a palette.

He told me he would have to make two trips to Home Depot for the insulation, but they were able to load him up in one go.

See the dark green metal box in the back? That's the machine that blows the insulation where you want it to go. It's a two-spouse job. One person puts the insulation in and the other person blows it in the attic via a long hose. (That's our tomato plant encased in its tomato protection unit in the foreground.)

Here is a closer picture of the insulation:


We made a mistake with the machine. We emptied half a 20-pound bag in it before we turned it on. At the bottom of the machine is a cylinder with four "curved spatulas" attached. They break up and rotate the insulation into the bottom and the machine blows it in to the tube. But when we turned the machine on, the spatulas wouldn't move. So, we pulled out all the insulation (big mess) and fiddled with it, and then realized they just needed a push. Then, we started all over again.

Each 20-pound bag of insulation cost $6.80. Gene looked on the internet for insulation installation prices and found a couple that charge $80 a bag. If you buy 20 bags from Home Depot, they let you rent the machine for free. We bought fifty bags, but wound up returning 20.

It was in the thirties last night when we started, and misty wet, but the snow was inside the garage:

Gene used his aspirator and I borrowed a doctor's mask from the children's play things.

While I was standing over the machine for two hours last night and three hours this morning...

...I got to know the insulation:

Check this out:


Or this one:
See all the tiny bits of newspaper? Isn't it nice to finally see some of your hard recycling efforts come to fruition? I felt heartened by that. And also by the fact that we'll be better able to organize the stuff...

...in our attic now that the palettes are down.


Fingers crossed for a warmer house and lower electricity bills. And I think I'll pour a cup of coffee right now for a warmer me.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

What a nightmare. I'm the anti-handyman. Mowing the lawn is plenty for me!

3:54 PM  
Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

...and when did you become a blonde?

3:56 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Mowing the lawn is plenty for me!

And raking once in a while--that's exactly how I had envisioned my married life, but no...

...and when did you become a blonde?

When insulation covered my head like a blanket of snow.

7:23 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Whoa Nancy! Would you stop making wives like me look bad as I adeptly wrinkle the nose and wear a blank glazed over look when 'these' sorts of brilliant ideas take hold of the husband?

(Seriously, I'm impressed with your industrious togetherness! Thats teamwork for the long haul).

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Tech support said...

...wrinkle the nose and wear a blank glazed over look when 'these' sorts of brilliant ideas take hold of the husband?

Uh, there were a lot of those looks. It's the same look I give when Nancy tells me "Madeline Albright's wearing a fabulous single breasted jacket and a-line from the Louis Feraud spring '02 collection, but not couture. Never couture." (Forgive me for winging fashion lingo in the name of humor.)

Nancy was (is) a great help, and I really appreciate her trooper spirit and support on some of my hair-brained schemes. Although everyone says this is a great idea. Everyone!

BTW, the picture of the cluttered attic is a surprisingly good glimpse of my life - or at least interests. If in a "where's Waldo?" sort of way. Woot. Dell. Summit Racing. Halloween decorations. Part of a rowing scull. And it's a mess. Yup. That's me.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hey! Look who's slumming it on my blog!

Nancy was (is) a great help, and I really appreciate her trooper spirit and support on some of my hair-brained schemes.

Thanks, Honey.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous allan said...

Oh, yeah. I did that once in my first house, if I may use that term loosely. Poor little thing was kinda on the shacky side, but it was the last house in California under 40K. Now we're going back to the wonderful years of disco queens, 1977. Had to do it myself, but it went quite well. Lovely what it does to the air quality for a day or two. There was no Home Depot in those days. Monkey Wards, but it was the same set up that you guys found. Except for the squirrels that ran the compressor by running REAL fast in that cage. Wow, modern technology. Worse was they kept eyeing the insulation pretty surreptitiously. I think they were trying to figure out how to sneak some of it back to their cute little squirrel nests after work.

Not saying nuttin' about them those pallets except that it must have been some workout getting them spread out on the joisting. I keep thinking it's a good thing there's a ton of miles between our houses. We could cause SO much trouble if I happened to be a Moundie local.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Luther said...

Your "blonde" photo looks like a promo picture from a medical disaster movie - "Outbreak at The Mound"! :)

1:53 PM  
Anonymous Whitley Strieber is God said...

It all started when i was in the midst of one of the 600 strains of the cold virus. Having a runny nose precipitates using a lot of kleenex. Then hit it me. The kleenex companies make money off of you being sick. And, being corporations, what's really stopping them from unleashing some kind of epidemic so that we all get sick and have to buy some of their product? Then I had an epiphany.

What if they already are unleashing all sorts of diseases into the general public? I mean, is it really all that improbable? Nothing too serious, of course, but just enough so that enough inconspicuous consumption of tissues goes on to make these people rich. It probably wouldn't be all that hard. And they would stand to make a pretty big profit....

The more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Up until now, we've attributed sinus infection, and the common cold to diagnoses that have been around us for centuries, but were only identified with the advent of modern medicine. But you'd think we'd have run across something parallel with the cold or sinus infection in ancient scriptures or something. There are 600 strains of the cold virus. Isn't that a bit much? The cold is common, but people tend to classify it as one disease. And there are so many other fatal diseases. Why aren't there 600 strains of AIDS or something? Could it be because all of these kleenex companies make all these strains of the virus to keep them in business?

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Conspiracy Theorist said...

Not only are facial tissue companies unleashing germs upon us ... it is actually done directly with their products!! Facial tissues contain engineered time-released cold viruses!!! Use a tissue and your infected with a dormant (for the moment) strain, then 6-24 months later the viruses wake up and viola - you must buy more tissues!!!!

Damn those fat bastard facial tissue companies!!!

3:49 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

you guys AMAZE ME. You are the AMAZING couple. Also: you look supercute and like your daughter in that ER photo

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Vivian Louise said...

Wow, WSIG commented here? Sweet.

Nancy, actually, it looks like fun. At least for the first few hours, after that, not so much.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Planet Janet said...

Is this what they mean when they say marriage is a partnership?

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home