Monday, December 31, 2007

Useful letters, 3

Dear Third Person in Line at Linens 'n' Things,

I realize that you may have felt rushed this late afternoon at the Linens 'n' Things after-holiday sales event, but when the cashier called for another cashier to help with the ever-lengthening line of customers, and I caught you motioning to take the number-one spot in her line, fate was clearly not on your side.

At that moment, I braced myself to overtake you in that position.

Some people, young woman, do not believe in karma, and I am one of them. However, your heading around to the south end of the next check out line when she said, "I'll take the next person in line," suggests that people do indeed get what they deserve.

I made a beeline around the north end of the next checkout line, while saying, "I'm the next person in line--thanks," to teach you a lesson in manners, civility and fairness, something obviously lacking in your upbringing. I don't know if that was your father or your date beside you, but if he's any sort of gentleman, I'm sure he was appalled by your behavior.

Just a lesson from one of your elders--no need to thank me, deary, though one day, you'll surely want to.

Sincerely,

Nancy Matocha
Second Person in Line, Linens 'n' Things

PS To the man who rolled his eyes: you would do well, sir, to mind your own business!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

Useful Letters - priceless!

Suggestions, as per your email and I wish I had thought of this when seeing American Gangster:

Useful Letter to Cluless Selfish Parents: The 'R' rating for movies does not mean R for Romper Room - small fry should not have been near such a film because nudity, violence and profanity was not designed for their little ears or eyes. This is why God made babysitters. Idiots.

Argh.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Vivian Louise said...

See, this is why I love you so.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Brett King said...

Oh,now that was funny. Thanks for sharing.

2:48 PM  
Blogger pamela hammonds said...

Thanks, Nancy, for writing what all of us were thinking when we did our non-online shopping this year.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

People always do that, and it drives me insane.

Only once have I seen the new cashier say something about it and have the true "next" person get back in front of opportunist, and it made me smile, indeed.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home