Sunday, February 03, 2008

Persona non blogger

Well, I have no idea when I'll be posting again, or if I will at all. I'm still on edge about the new job and juggling it with the kids, who are doing great, by the way. I try to leave the office early so I can pick them up and still have time before dinner to spend with them, and I often see disappointment in Emma's face when she sees me, and that's a good thing. The look says she was just about to get into something interesting when I arrived.

The pace of life has gone from a leisurely stroll to a sprint and I'm still trying to catch up to the pack. Unfortunately, this is the weekend my husband has to help his office move from Irving to Dallas. His company lost two key IT people in the last few months, who were in charge of the move, so Gene volunteered. It was not entirely altruistic on his part--he's been gunning to get servers set up in such a way as to make them available to different departments at once, so he wants some influence there. The poor guy has an ear infection to add to this busy mix, so he was relieved of Sunday breakfast duties.

The working mom's life is a messy one. The other afternoon my daughter, eating a bagel at our new breakfast bar, dropped it on the floor and I asked her if it got any crumbs on the floor. She said she couldn't tell because there were too many crumbs there to know which were from her bagel. (Note to self: the broom is more than just a home accessory.)

This transition into workdom would be an easier one if I could discipline myself into going to sleep at night and staying asleep for at least seven hours. But sleep is an ocean and I float near its shallow shores. When the waves ebb, my body is tickled awake, and that's it: whether it's 3:30 or 6:00 a.m., I'm up. In the last month, my inner alarm clock has been ringing around 4:00, making for some very groggy decision-making.

It's even cut into my wine drinking. My joie de vivre joie de left! This morning, however, my inner alarm didn't ring until 7:15. Even my son, who usually gets up an hour before that, slept in. The extra sleep is probably why you're getting this post. (Lucky you!)

Thanks to those of you who check in on me. I don't want to leave and never come back without a word. I did that in my twenties and was surprised to find out in my thirties, it left a lot of people miffed. But that's my current story--I'm not at the top of my game, and the blog will have to wait until I am.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

I'm sure you'll feel better once you've fully adjusted to your new routine. It may take a while. I'll be looking forward to your next post, whenever that may be!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Friend, I would never be miffed. I would just miss your bright wit. You enjoy this new season of your life, and keep your focus on the most important things - and a blog isn't at the top of the list. We'll be here wen you're ready.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

You guys are the best!

6:18 AM  
Blogger David N. Scott said...

I know how that is, Nancy... living it. I know it's a tough time, but we'll get through it, huh? :)

10:02 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

so great to hear from you. Your story about emma and the crumbs made me laugh out loud -- how can you do that when you're under all that stress, you excellent girl

9:55 PM  
Blogger pamela hammonds said...

Let me know if the crumbs get too thick to wade through and I'll let you borrow Marisol. Best move I made as of late. I just tell myself I have to write an extra article a month to pay for it. That's motivation for ya.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Zoe said...

See . . . that is why we have a dog! He takes care of all the crumbs - no broom needed! lol!

6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home