Wednesday, February 27, 2008

You need to know

I'm breaking my blog silence to alert you to the alarming news that ABC is working with Cox to prevent viewers with digital video recording (DVR) from fast-forwarding through commercials.

I predict Venezuelans will riot, as they should. This is not good marketing. Good marketing is putting product placement back in shows where they belong--next to a cigarette-smoking Johnny Carson--and not bothering us every eleven minutes with commercial breaks. Unless they're entertaining commercial breaks.

This may catch fire for a while with the other networks (not FOX) but I'm guessing it eventually will go away because it's anti-technology and anti-viewer.

I have spoken.

Update: Holy toledo--hat tip to Rob Long.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

Good thing I have DirecTV instead of cable.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Luther said...

Hopefully this will backfire on them and be a failure. I love being able to watch shows in a compressed time frame by skipping over the commercials.

I also get annoyed by DVD's that turn off the "skip" button and try to force you to watch 15 minutes of previews. Fortunately the fast forward usually works. I guess next they’ll start randomly injecting commercials (or in Venezuela government propaganda) directly into the movies and disable all functionality so you are forced to watch them.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Moses said...

Hey it was just my experimental stage like so many people have in college ...

4:58 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

That explains just the ten commandments. I thought fer sure there'd be 15!

7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home