Friday, April 04, 2008

Light Sleeper Magazine

Sixty mile per hour winds, quarter-size hale and tornado sirens kept three members of my family up at half past 3 this morning. It was big doings for my daughter who was scared at first but caught weather fever when her dad turned on the television. Then she was all chatty, chatty, chatty.

I knew I'd never get back to sleep, and here I am nearly two hours later, living that bad dream. It'll be a rough day at the office and then a rough night at Family Fun Night at the elementary school, where I am on duty at 8:00 to do ... something. Assignments have not yet been handed out.

Here's an interesting article about a study that links too little (or too much) sleep to weight gain:
Over six years, short sleepers were 35 percent more likely to gain 11 pounds than average-duration sleepers.
I can attest that when I'm sleep-deprived I grab for any sugary food that will help me get through the day. Witness yesterday's Twix bar. Yesterday, I was still trying to catch up from Tuesday's 5 a.m. clap of thunder that kept me fuzzy-headed before a weekly office meeting. The sugar gave me knee-jiggling energy and probably a false sense of confidence. My witticisms were received with polite smiles.

But this morning, after willing myself back to sleep for two hours failed, I rummaged around in the drawer of my night stand, looking for a reading light for just such an occasion (disturbing my husband) and came up empty. So here I am and here are you, when we'd probably both be better off horizontal and unconscious. What's your excuse?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger David N. Scott said...

I've historically been pretty insomniac. I've been good for several yeqars but when Julie was getting up at 5 so I didn't have to go to bed alla sudden I was reading and going on the web until the wee hours...

4:07 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

it's better than lying there feeling increasingly grim though. But yeah, how was Family Fun night on short sleep? Sounds forbidding.

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Jaime Escalante said...

How do I reech theese keeds?!?

6:52 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Hmmmmm.

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Jaime Escalante said...

Hmmmmm?

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Bill Clinton said...

Horizontal yes ... unconscious no ... if you know what I mean yummy momma!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home