Friday, August 01, 2008

Another Taste of Wasatch

Lake Mary is a nice little day hike in Big Cottonwood Canyon with enough uphill climbing to keep you huffing and puffing, but my seven-year-old daughter and six-year-old nephew were able to make it up unassisted. My four-year-old son likes to be "up on shoulders." The ascent was somewhere around 760 feet in the one-mile hike. The trail head is in the parking lot of the Brighton ski resort.

We stopped at nearly every rock because the kids think they're great photo opportunities:
My nephew Jack loved carrying around some plastic binoculars that the kids got two years before at Yellowstone.


The kids started whining not long into the hike, but when we caught site of either a beaver or badger sunning itself on a slab on concrete a quarter of the way up, and when we heard about a moose on the trail ahead, they set the pace ahead of me and Gene, who had a four-year-old "up on shoulders."

Here's the moose cooling off on a patch of snow:

Sigh. It was a very nice hike. I'm taking a guess, but I think we ended up around 9300 feet elevation.

More later as time allows.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger kathy said...

I just love these tastes of the trip, thank you so much. I want to visit the cabin again myself soon. The photos of Lake Mary are especially gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

1:38 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks, Kathy. Unfortunately, most of the pictures I took with a Polaroid 1737, which we bought off of Woot. It's light weight and carries easily, but I think the quality of these pictures is very poor.

I did take some around the cabin with our Olympus, and I'll post some of those later.

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home