Saturday, August 02, 2008

Wasatch: The 'Time Allows' Post

Here's what Aunt Jolene's cabin looked like when I was a kid. Back then, it was Grandpa Joe's cabin. In 1963, he caught wind that lots were being sold in Big Cottonwood Canyon in the Wasatch Mountain Range for $750 a piece and wondered out loud if he should buy one. Nah, he said, he didn't have any cash on him anyway. His adult daughter, my Aunt Jeanne was with him at the time; she had $50 on her and encouraged him to purchase the land.

You can't tell from this picture, but you're looking at the upstairs, with a bedroom and living room, to a two-story cabin. Down a narrow, steep staircase is a kitchen and door to the outside.

It must have been in the late 70's or early 80's when they added this part to the cabin. The upstairs is a bedroom and modern bathroom. Before the only toilet facility was a (very clean) outhouse. The downstairs of the addition is a living room with couches that can be slept on.

If you turned around, this is what you'd be looking at:


This is the view from the back side of the cabin. (More pictures of the backyard below in the "Moose" post.)


Before you drive the private road a quarter mile up to the cabin, you have to stop to unlock a gate over a bridge at a rushing creek. We walked down to the creek and I climbed out on to a rock and encouraged the kids to follow me. They were hesitant but also eager. While on the rock, my brother called. That's me on the cell phone holding on to my four-year-old.

Should be a mountain flowers post up next. [Added: there's definitely a metaphor for parenting in the above picture.]

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Brett said...

Wow! What a wonderful place to have in the family. Our family went into Provo Canyon in June and hiked along some beautiful water falls. I think it was called Cascade Falls. We wanted to take a train ride in Heber but didn't have the time. If you can that might be lots of fun.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

Nancy, I'm ready to retire there! Gorgeous in every way and of course I'm particular to the rock front of the cabin. Wonderful it is in your family for your use.... Hey! I see a weekend there w/you, VL, Charlotte, myself, some cheese and wine. Just perfect!

7:03 PM  
Blogger kathy said...

you are KILLING me with nostalgia and longing here. I wish I'd gone out to be with you guys! Hey I hope you send this link to Jolene, too. And by the way I did not know that family history piece about Jeanne Anne's lucky $50!

5:28 PM  
Blogger gcotharn said...

All of the photos are adorable and wonderful. I'd love to be there. When I was a child, we went to Colorado for a few summer trips. It was always so wonderful to get away from the heat. It felt like fantasyland, actually, to be wearing a windbreaker in August.

I was at the Rangers game Monday night. It was still 100 degrees around 8:30 PM - according to the ballpark reading. It was 99 degrees at 9:00 PM.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

It was 99 degrees at 9:00 PM.

But it was a dry heat!

6:00 PM  
Blogger David N. Scott said...

Wow, how neat! What a great cabin. And I love the bottom picture. Seems like it would fit into a Mother's day calendar or something like that (a motivational poster?)

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home