Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Lovers' Quarrel

Ha! Funny:
As a print reporter who covered the Bush White House told me: When a Republican president takes office reporters think they're self-appointed prosecutors. But no one wants to prosecute Nelson Mandela. And Obama is a lot more like Mandela, to a lot of reporters, than he is to some run-of-the-mill liberal like Dick Durbin. Let's just call Obama's little tiff with the press a lovers' quarrel.
Why does Obama remind them of Mandela? Because they both opposed the Iraq war?

Anyway, time to psychoanalyze the president. I'm noticing some control issues in him that I think he might struggle with.

Exhibit A: Obama let his annoyance show when the vice president made sport of Chief Justice Roberts for flubbing the oath.

Exhibit B: He showed annoyance with the press for doing their job. "I can’t come in and shake hands if I’m gonna get grilled every time." (Although, honestly, I don't know the rules for a situation like that.)

Exhibit C: "I won." (Can we really afford four more years of this type of swagger?)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Dana said...

You're on to something, and 'Prima Donna' comes to mind...

Exhibit D might very well be his (misleading) dig at Rush...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01232009/news/politics/prez_zings_gop_foe_in_a_timulating_talk_151572.htm

12:23 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Well, I'm glad that he didn't want Biden to make fun of Roberts, but he doesn't get to control that. At least, I don't think he does.

As to Rush, I thought that remarks was beneath the office of the presidency. I don't listen to Rush, so I'm not sure his precise criticism, but I think it shows you where his head is regarding the opposition.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

That's *remark*, not remarks.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

I hope Obama fails.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home