Sunday, April 19, 2009

Home reconstruction

Remember when we took down the fireplace to put in a bar? We put a new fireplace in. (Can't shake the underline function right now, fyi.)

First you remove the window on the wall.




Actually, first you pick out a few pieces of slate:

You have to cut a hole in the eve hanging over your backporch:

Unknown unknowns emerge:

For a few weeks, you'll have a hole in your house. You can sing "There's a hole in my house that can only be filled by you..." by Extreme to your husband during that time.

Here's what it looks like from the other side:

You'll need to put a hole in your roof for a chimney:

And then you need to build it:


Looking up:


Here's another shot, taken from the deck of the playhouse:


Only don't forget to take down the old chimney:

And throw away the refuse:

Patch up that hole:

Keep patching:

Did I mention the hole in the house? Here it is with some framing:

And the fireplace arrives:

It has some sort of catalytic converter. It has some sort of EPA approval.

Put some cement board around it and start bricking it:

Keep going:

But wait! Free firewood listed all over Craig's List! [Added: You'll have to chop it down and make a place to store it.]

Aw, come on! I can't take the dust anymore:

OK. I'll take Emma to her party. Meet us later for cake. And when I get home:

Yay! Thank you! (Now what about the other side?)

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Mike LaRoche said...

What a beautiful fireplace. Does it have a trap door in it so that the ashes can be emptied into the space below?

Growing up in El Paso, my house had a natural gas-powered fireplace with just such a feature.

I miss living where the weather gets cold enough to use a fireplace...

9:47 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Does it have a trap door in it so that the ashes can be emptied into the space below?Another unknown unknown emerges too late! I'd never heard of such a thing until you mentioned it.

It does get cold up here in North Texas, and this is how we will heat our house. Oh, for one more cold spell this year!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Dana said...

Hi Nancy (and Mike!), wow, just wow! What a great fireplace and Nancy, you deserve an extra three hours of sleeping in every Saturday for enduring the hullabaloo and dust. Tell Gene I think it's an amazingly impressive job. What a handy guy. When I tiled my fireplace with slate this past year, it was utterly exhausting so I can't even imagine having done the building of the fireplace too!

11:10 PM  
Anonymous kim jong-il said...

Just when I thought my missile test had scared you into silence ... all this talk about fireplace!

I will show you fireplace! I will show you and the world!

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Bob Dole said...

I'll show you a missile, Kimmy-boy!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Take it outside, boys. We're a peace-loving blog under the new administration.

8:24 PM  
Anonymous Luther said...

Kumbaya my friends kumbaya ...

9:45 PM  
Blogger k said...

WOW! You guys are maniac geniuses of home remodeling! I am totally knocked out

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home