Sunday, September 27, 2009

Safire and Me

I used to read William Safire's political columns when I was a receptionist for a pret-a-porter line on Seventh Avenue in New York. I played a game with my friend Kenneth, whose birthday is next week (happy birthday, Kenneth!), in which we picked an unfamiliar word and tried to use it in a sentence before the end of the day.

When Kenneth said he was going to obviate to the 16th floor, I knew he wasn't taking me seriously.

Thank you, Mr. Safire and rest in peace.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger gcotharn said...

In college, I would pre tap or t'er into beer before parties, thus making myself ready to wearther whatever a party might bring.

3:30 PM  
Blogger gcotharn said...

I was trying to use "pret-a-porter" in a sentence, b/c - and you will laugh - I'm a guy, and I did not know what it meant, beyond having something to do with fashion b/c of that Robert Altman movie. And I tried to throw in "ready to wear" and be clever. But, alas, I am not so clever!

Have a good week. All best wishes to your family.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

LOL! Thanks, G. I totally spaced on your joke and figured it was another vocabulary word that was over my head. Heh!

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home